Contact Me:

Follow me at www.twitter.com/crantina
Email TinaFab at: tina_garstad@hotmail.com

Wednesday 18 September 2013

The Half that WASN'T

So lately have been feeling a little loss of my running mojo! It's a funny thing. I am feeling fitter, smarter (ha...no comments from the peanut gallery)...Like I am running better. I am reading more about health an fitness. I am trying hard to eat clean - no junk - and stay hydrated and avoid sugars. Dehydration and sugars an crap food do my digestive system in.

I thought I had that shit under control. Oh noes....shit had a different idea lately. And in addition to the GI issues, I had  felt I should be seeing more improvement lately. But I haven't. I have had a few really taxing runs.

So for redemption, I signed up with Cori for the Loop Around the Lake. And, if you have read Cori's race report, you know how well THAT went.

It has taken me a few days to write. Immediately after the race I went home to spend a few day with my mom...she turned 66 today! So I went offline for a few days. Which given the circumstances of the run is a good thing. Two angry run reviews in one day from two bloggers might have really been a bit much. Cause we were PISSED.

Why you ask?? Well....the half marathon ended up being 25 FRIGGING kilometres.

There was no redemption in this run. Just some anger that come on pretty strong at 19km.

Shall we start at the beginning?


So Cori and I arrive...we are pretty good to go. Both of us want to use this as a training run, yet want to push pace and see how we can stack up to getting a PB goal at our next half in October. Just before the start we are called to a runner powwow. Race director then says it's 22km. OK. Forget a PB...but lets focus on Pacing then. Cause I am TOO FOCUSSED on how fast i am going anyway. Lets do steady. Stick to a pace, race smart.

He then spends what feels like 10 freaking minutes giving us VERY COMPLICATED directions. After the first 15 turns i am lost. Jesus. We turn to each other an I am pretty sure say simultaneously, "this course better be well marked". I should have known things were amiss when he said when you see a water station take it, cause they are few and far between. hmmmm. And, apparently 21 registered in the Half, yet only 13 of us showed. Lazy Buggers.

So my first 10 km I focus on consistency. I am doing well. Though at this point i have a confession. I ran 7.5 km out in Canmore at a 5Peaks trail race the day before this long run. It appears someone (ME) wasn't using their nooooodle!!!

Anyone care to GUESS what I was saying?
So anyway, Cori gives a way better recap than I do. Read hers she does angry better than me. I turn into a raving loon when I start bitching.

Anyways. Thanks GOD I wore a hydration vest. Because our first water station was at 11km. We did pass a not yet set up one at 3k...but whatever. I think once we got to an out and back on the highway at 15k there was more water. As I ran into Cori at 15km mark...just after she turned around and as I heaing into the turnaround...there was a High5 and collective cursing. I believe I said, "Loop around the Lake MY ASS. WHERE is the EFFING WATER?" or something like that.

So by the time I finally ran past the water I officially got excited. I was gonna hit the 19km mark. It was the same table as the 3km...so that means head straight to the FINISH! holy crap. woohooo...this frigging zigzaggy course would be OVER.

Do you hear the ptttttttttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttt. of the hope balloon? 

Nope redirected me back to canal. I actually said, "What? Why...that way is only 3km to finish??" NOPE. The volunteer smiled sweetly as she pointed and said you have to go that way. So then at 20km, the next volunteer points and says go down that way again. When i yelled, "FUUUUCK...that means there is another 4 or 5 km. That can't be!" He shrugged and said yup. keep going. I was pretty sure it was not the first curse he heard that day.

Thaat final 5km sucked. No other words. I felt awful and defeated and a few points just said fuck it and walked. And had conversations with myself that went something like this: "Less walking more running!" "i can't believe that GD director just drove by and waved. Seriously WHERE THE F IS THE FINISH" I wonder if he heard me? Because a couple volunteers did. They laughed. Uncomfortably. They were all so nice and cheering on. An at least 5 said something about how complicated an too long this race was. An i wondered if they know this, WHY doesn't the guy who designed the course know this???

Anyways...My last 3 or was it 2 km were made bearable by one lovely volunteer (named Fluffy earmuff lady by Cori) who rode her bike alongside me. Her cheering was nothing short of lovely. I had a couple moments of teariness...more because I felt so defeated. And mad at myself for doing that trail race (even though I actually ran a hella god consistant pace and great race...DWELL on THAT not the lead legs).

This race just wouldn't effing finish. And how I wanted to quit. SO SO BAD. Or take a shortcut. But there wasn't one. And its not me. And besides. My car was at the finish. I HAD to get there.

My last kilometre a couple young boys joined me and ran alongside me. I actually picked up the pace in those last 3km. THIS is why I like running! Because we are in this together. And no one knew me and they cared to run in with me! Very, very nice. It made me feel lotsa warm and fuzzies.

Well. I finally crossed. I tried to avoid giving a Hi5 to race director at the end of the race. Yes, I was pouting. It was my WORST time ever. One of my worse run experiences. And frankly, I am mystified how come we did that last loop. There was no need. SERIOUSLY!!!

I crossed the finish. Cori and I noted no water, no food at the finish. So after about 10 mins of organizing, changing into compression gear....off we went to Starbucks to drown our sorrows and celebrate PWs with a latte!


Ah! a few days off to bitch, moan, vent, certainly helped. Now I have to remember that it is done. OVER. And THis crap run is gonna make my next half feel like a walk in the park. Funny...its in a park. But there will be running. Not walking. And if I can finish this whore of a race, I can carry on an complete this next puppy!! Right? All part of traiiiiining!!

(Not that I still don't think it was a DICK move to add 4km to a half mara)







No comments:

Post a Comment