Contact Me:

Follow me at www.twitter.com/crantina
Email TinaFab at: tina_garstad@hotmail.com

Monday 24 March 2014

Guest Blogger: Food Prep Tips

Today I have a guest blogger! Some of us I'm FitPossible Ambassadors decided to have a blog swap! I have a post on my fav races over on Alyssa's fab blog (go check it out and tell her I say howdy) and she is here on mine talking food! 

A little about #imfitpossible: We are a group of fitness and wellness enthusiasts (not to mention sassy) who are all active on social media. And as our fearless leader Tara describes us... 


"We are social media rock stars. We are basically the Bon Jovi’s of social media. Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Flickr, Tumblr, Instagram and YouTube. You name it, we rock it."
  --------------------------------------------
Come check out #imfitpossible on twitterfacebook and instagram
  --------------------------------------------
And now over to Alyssa: 
I have struggled with what to write for the I’m Fit Possible Blog Swap with Tina until she suggested writing about food prepping. She originally asked for tips for her own personal use and it didn’t even hit me that it was a good topic for all of you too!


So I’ll be giving tips on how to food prep like a champ. Holding a full time job and being a full time student in a graduate program makes it tough for me to constantly eat healthy, but I get it done. That is an amazing accomplishment since I work around food all day long!

My Tips on Food Prepping
  1. Find what works for you. Food prep can be so easy if it’s done right. A lot of people use the weekends. However, if you’re like me and you have to work every other weekend, it isn’t always doable. If I have the weekend off, I’ll prep on Sundays. It usually takes a few hours so I make sure I have time to do it. If I don’t have the weekend off then I do a mini prep. I’ll make things I can eat for a couple days until I prep again and that I won’t get tired of it. I also plan it out with my workouts so that I don’t slack on those.
  2. Make a plan. As I said above, you need to plan. Make a list of everything you want to make and have it in your refrigerator or pantry so you have easy access. Nothing like forgetting an item at the store to ruin your prep!
  3. Don’t make boring food. I know this sounds like a stupid tip, but trust me. If the food sounds boring then you won’t eat it. I love using plenty of spices
  4. Invest in Tupperware! I have plenty. I actually get a little excited over Tupperware. Weird? Maybe…
  5.  Work Ahead. If you have something in the oven, start working on your next food item. I like to throw spaghetti squash in the oven with my baked oatmeal and have turkey burgers cooking on the George Foreman grill all at once.
  6. You don’t have to prep everything. It’s okay to cook breakfast or for one meal a day. Food prep just makes life a little easier. I know a lot of people who like to make certain things then freeze them. I don’t mind cold food so I have no problems making it and eating it right out of the refrigerator.
  7. Snack-Time. Work does not allow me to take mini breaks to eat food all through the day. I like to bring protein shakes and Quest bars. I use a good quality protein shake added to milk for a little extra nutrition and to keep my blood sugar stable.
I hope these tips have helped. As a bonus, I’ll throw in my baked oatmeal recipe. So yummy! This makes one serving.


What you need:
-1/2 cup rolled oats
-Cinnamon
-1/2 cup nonfat milk
-1/2 egg white
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-Blueberries
-Raspberries

Spray oven-safe ramekin with olive oil and pour as many blueberries in as you want. Combine oats and cinnamon in a bowl and pour over the blueberries. Then combine milk, egg white and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and pour over the dry mixture. Add raspberries on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes on 375 degrees.

Enjoy!

Link up with Alyssa:

2 comments:

  1. thanks for these tips! that baked oatmeal recipe looks and sounds amazing, definitely on my "to try" list!

    stopping by from the I'm fit Possible blog swap!

    see ADRIENNE run

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a Sunday food prepper who often gets bored with what i've prepared for the middle of the week, so i need to make sure i can be flexible. these are some great tips - especially the tupperware. can't have enough.

    ReplyDelete