Contact Me:

Follow me at www.twitter.com/crantina
Email TinaFab at: tina_garstad@hotmail.com

Thursday 27 March 2014

Ragnar SoCal - Countdown!

So the LAST time I was in California was in 1980. 
I may not be goin to Disneyland...but close...Ima gunna runna RAGNAR!!


In one week I shall be in some sun and sand and no talk of winter! 
I gotta say I am so hotdamn excited to be jetting off. It has been a harsh winter and the training conditions have sucked big time. We (at least in Canada) are all all feeling it! Especially with the last week of cold, now, now, and, more snow. bah. I haven't been getting in as much speed work in or as many hills as I would like due to icy conditions. But a week in the California sun is what the Doctor ordered. 

It's not my first relay. But it is my first Ragnar. And I have no idea what I am in for. 
I expect some fun. 
Some Sun. But no sunburn. 
Some sweat. 
Some serious hard work. I do have 3 Legs to run! 
Some cheering and meeting some really fab women!
Oh and some goofy pictures. 
And Sand. Did I say sand? In my toes (after a run not during!). 
On beaches. Where there is sun. And ocean. 
oooh...a huge drop in elevation!
SCORE!!!  


Oh yeh...I am excited! I wonder if I am more excited about the weather than anything else...
We are running from Huntington Beach to San Diego! Voila...Lookit all the ocean views!!! weee. 
There are 12 runners. And I am lucky enough to be RUNNER 12 on my toughie team! So that means I run leg 12, 24, and 36. I will run 17miles in about 24 hours. NICE! 
Leg 12
Leg 24
And what is super awesome is that I am the last runner...I bring in my team (on a BEACH!!!!!!). They will join me to the finish! 
Leg 36
Look at that elevation. Oh wait there is NO elevation! HA! 
I am gonna be so pumped to run in this climate and near the water. 

Can't wait to get there! And run! And just love love the moment. 
For the first time in months I won't be lacing up my shoes while telling myself:
"Just do it...put in the miles...you can do it..it's not THAT cold".

I am thinking some sun and sand and beach views while running are going to do wonders for my motivation! oooh And after Ragnar I can still get two more training runs in. Sweet! 

Now I have to go figure out what to pack! 

6 MORE SLEEPS!!!! 
'bye stupid spring. I wont miss you! 






18 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks like so much fun! I can't wait to hear all about it :) Have a fabulous time Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! my first "holiday" in so many years...i am nervous I want to run well. But I know that if i am having fun i always run my best! Best thing for training right?

      Delete
  2. I am so excited to get to Cali too! After this terrible winter, I am all about the sunshine and the beach views. So glad you were able to the join the team and will be taking across the finish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE have been in the grips of a reeeeaaaaallly long winter. I am starting to feel it. AM excited to meet you and all the other gals too! I hope to finish and look strong for all of you! weeeee.

      Delete
  3. So awesome!! I love Ragnar -- you are going to have a blast!!

    ~ Lora @ Crazy Running Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lora! It is my first!!! and only second time running in the States.

      Delete
  4. Have a great time Tina!! No doubt bringing it home for the final leg will be an awesome experience!!

    My advice: have fun!! Don't forget to eat. Get a real meal when you can (breakfast when van 1 is running, etc). It can be really easy to get caught up in the excitement of cheering your runners on but grabbing real food when you can will help a bunch. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!! And cheer your runners on (and all the other Ragnar runners) loudly! And oh yeah...have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leana! I will use all the cheering skillz I have have from Ekiden and take it to SoCal! Eating will be key! I think I have to wait to do my first leg til 3 or 4 pm...so need some fuel! And water bottle is packed! i think i have everything...eeek!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh!!! What a warm weather treat! I bet this is JUST what you need after the POLAR VORTEX year. Enjoy the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are back in a cold snap with snow...i cannot tell you how excited I am to go to the beach!

      Delete
  6. Tina, I am so excited for you! Ragnar. California. Relay. Sun. Sand. Now go have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am nervous, but it will all be good. Jut hoping not TOO hot. (yikes cant complain after our winter!)...weeeeeeee.

      Delete
  7. So color me a little jealous!! Wow that all sounds amazing and after this crap weather we've been having what a perfect get away. Have fun!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping this pops some mojo into my mara training!!!

      Delete
  8. Woohoo!! So much fun and that is a lot of beach running! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beachy eh? and so awesome after our craptastic winter!!!

      Delete
  9. You're going to have a blast. I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. was it odd to run on grass and asphalt after monthso fo ice and snow? It's nice to see green under your feet!

    I nominated you for a Liebster - http://fourthehealthofit.com/2014/04/09/its-a-major-award/

    ReplyDelete