Contact Me:

Follow me at www.twitter.com/crantina
Email TinaFab at: tina_garstad@hotmail.com

Sunday 9 March 2014

Ready for Saint Patrick's Day Fun?

The past few years I have run the Original Saint Patrick's Day Road Race. I did it when I could barely run 5k in 45 minutes. I did it when I could run 10km in 65 minutes. And, every single time I have had a BLAST!
Last year was the first year since since 2010 I did not run it.
But I AM excited to be running it again this year!

My pal Trev took of his girl/my BFF Tara on her first Saint Patrick's Day Race in 2013!
Notice the crappy weather last year..whenever I run it the weather is GREAT!
(eek let's hope that tradition continues this year)
Now...to figure out what to wear.....

Best costume gets a $100 Gift Certificate to Strides Running Store!

It is a smaller race - capped at 1000 participants. But super friendly and fun. One of my fav run memories is doing this race in 2009 - I was heavier and was struggling a bit with less than half a kilometre to go and this amazing gal who was finishing a quick 10km runs up besides me and slows down momentarily to put her arm around me, to say, "You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work!" THAT is why I love our local running community. And, I definitely have a soft spot for this race to be sure. 
If you aren't doin' anything on Sunday, March 16th, you should sign up! Besides supporting great local race...it is only 5km or 10km. It fits perfectly into a training plan. Short mileage...and you can still tack on a few extra miles the same day!

Don't you wanna run with some fun folks?
Volunteers cheer you on during the race, but there is Irish stew (meat and vegetarian) waiting at the finish line. Actually, for a shorter race, it is prob one of the best for food! The race starts and finishes at Central Memorial High School in SW Calgary. And I love that the post-race celebration (and award ceremony) is inside at the Central Memorial gym. Warmth awaits after the run.

Oh and did I forget??? You can WIN your WEIGHT in Steam Whistle beer! 
One of the most popular features of this race the past several years!

And the shirts we get are pretty awesome too! 
 (the last 4 years of shirts!!)

Come out and run on of the most awesome spring runs in Calgary! 
Plus it doesn't start til 9:00am (an 9:20 for the 5km) so you can sleep in a bit. 

Register online 

See you there! 
What are you wearing to run on Saint Patrick's Day? 


*I was given a complementary race entry this year, but all opinions are my own!

11 comments:

  1. LOVE those race shirts! And I'm sure that if you bring warm weather they'll be happy to have you back, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha here's praying our warmer stays for a little bit! :-) its crzy we had a 50 degree swing in 24-36 hour.

      Delete
  2. Look at you ... strike a pose. Enjoy the race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so fun! I'm doing the moose run 25k next Sunday, maybe I'll wear Green!!! ;) That story was awesome about the girl putting her arm around you. :) Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 25k!?? woohoo hope the weather is good for you!

      Delete
  4. I will be there!!! Fingers crossed it looks like the weather is supposed to be better than last year! I haven't run this 10K course before so I'm looking forward to it, but also really nervous. This is my first road race since the Last Chance Half and that race did not go very well!!!! See you out there Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure how speedy I will be after my shingles then my insane flu. Jsut wanting to have an enjoyable 10k!! see you there...will be fun!

      Delete
  5. How much fun are those photos and outfits! Of course you would have a green sparkly skirt! Have a fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heehee...i love my sparkle athletic skirts. i have orange too. and a few other colours too. lol.

      Delete
  6. That run looks like a mighty good time!! I'd sure be happy to win my weight in beer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wish I lived near Calgary! That sounds like such a great running event and the shirts are so cool!! (I soooo want one) I even have my green sparkle athletic skirt to wear... We don't have any St. Patty Day races here anymore unfortunately. My friend and I ran in one by the RR and won for best dressed that year - so much fun.

    ReplyDelete